Serving Cherry Creek and Denver, Colorado
Dental bonding is a good solution for chipped, gapped, or misshapen teeth. Dental bonding uses the same composite resin material used in making tooth-colored fillings to reshape your teeth. Unlike some other tooth restorations, dental bonding can be completed in one easy visit to our Cherry Creek dental office.
How Dental Bonding Works
Dental bonding is a composite resin that begins as a putty. It is composed of plastic infused with glass or ceramic to increase its strength and add luster more similar to your dental enamel. It can be used for these dental problems:
- Dental fillings
- Chip repair
- Tooth reshaping
- Closing tooth gaps
The dental bonding procedure is simple. When you come into our Cherry Creek dental office, we begin by evaluating dental bonding is the best solution for your dental problem. If so, then we will roughen the area where dental bonding will be applied.
The putty is then applied and shaped to give the desired result. This may take several layers of application. After it is applied, a curing light is applied to the dental bonding, which causes it to harden.
Once the bonding is hardened, it will be polished to better match your natural tooth enamel.
Advantages of Dental Bonding
Dental bonding has several advantages:
- Dental bonding is flexible and can be applied in almost any place on your teeth
- Dental bonding procedure can be completed in one short dental visit
- Dental bonding can be color matched to your natural tooth to give a good cosmetic result
- The cost of dental bonding is generally less than for other treatments
This makes dental bonding a good option for some dental problems.
Disadvantages of Dental Bonding
Dental bonding is not always the best solution to your dental problems, however. Its disadvantages include:
- It is not as strong as other dental restorations and often has a short expected life
- It is not as aesthetic as other dental restorations
- Results are highly dependent on the skill of your dentist
For these reasons, some people opt for porcelain restorations such as porcelain veneers or porcelain inlays or onlays for treatment of these dental problems.
To learn more about your options for fixing dental problems, please contact the Cherry Creek dental office of Ascent Dental today.