Even if you take immaculate care of your teeth, you may still be unhappy with the way that they look. In order to avoid the expense of having to fix all of your front teeth using extensive dental procedures, porcelain veneers can be used to essentially cover up imperfections of the front teeth.
What are Porcelain Veneers?
Veneers are small thin shells of porcelain that are tooth colored and are created in a local dental lab to mimic the look and feel of real teeth. They are cemented onto the fronts of the teeth permanently and can last upwards of 10 years with proper care and oral hygiene. Veneers are incredibly durable and can provide you with a mouth full of gorgeous teeth that you don’t mind showing off.
Why do people get Veneers?
There are many different reasons people decide that getting Veneers is for them. They are used to enhance the look of your teeth and can change your tooth’s color, size, shape, or length. Some of the reasons to get Veneers are:
- If your teeth are discolored and you want to give them a fresh, brighter look
- If you have teeth that are worn down, chipped, or broken and you want to change the look of them.
- If you have misaligned teeth, or irregular shaped teeth and want to make them look more uniform
- If you would like to close the gaps between teeth.
Who is a good candidate for Veneers?
There are many reasons for you to consider the dental veneer procedure and some of the best candidates include:
- Patients who want a quick and easy way to cover up enamel-based imperfections
- Patients who want to avoid the expense of more extensive procedures
- Patients who are tired of trying remedies at home to get rid of discoloration and staining with no success
- Patients who want a durable, long-lasting option that is going to provide them with a beautiful smile they can cherish for years.
What is the procedure to get dental Veneers?
First the dentist will take impressions of your teeth that will be sent out to create custom Veneers for you. Once the Veneers have come back the dentist will then examine its fit and color on your tooth. They want to make sure it matches your existing teeth, and they need to smooth out the Veneer to achieve the proper fit. Once the fit and color are matched perfectly your natural teeth will be cleaned, and polished. The dentist will also etch your tooth’s surface which will give it a rough feel to allow the bonding material to strongly adhere to the tooth. Once the tooth is prepped, the Veneer gets a special bonding cement added to it and then it is placed on the front surface of your teeth. A specialty light is used to react with the bonding chemicals to allow for the cement to harden faster. Any excess cement will be removed, and all final adjustments will be made. You will walk out of the dental office with a brighter, more secure smile.
If you want to inquire more about porcelain veneers, contact us today and one of our helpful staff members will be happy to assist you!